Anecdotal Fortran... :-)

There are blog posts like The joy of Fortran where Fortran was more suitable than Scipy/Python and R (snapshot of 2010’s toolkit of Sam Urmy, an oceanographer), or The Joy of Batch Fortran programming by Steve Sheets in 2021 (though more a reflection about his time as a freshman, when the language still was FORTRAN). No share of code by either one author.

In this regard I enjoyed modern Fortran by Radek Gruchalski (2022) is more substantial for that the author describes by example what stuck a chord. To quote some snippets:

The community doesn’t let you hang here. […] I must admit, the ecosystem is very impressive and makes picking up Fortran a fun and straightforward task. […] FPM makes it easy to create and manage a program.

Radek appreciates Milan’s book with

As a final note, during my learning, I supported myself with the Modern Fortran book written by Milan Curcic, and I can’t recommend it enough. The book is easy to follow and comes with fun examples and exercises. If you, like me, would like to dive deeper into Fortran, make sure you get your hands on a copy.

3 Likes